Which MBA Specialization Is Best For You?
10th April, 2019
Table of Contents
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Management aspirants of our country are offered a Masters of Business Administration degree with numerous specializations. These MBA specializations are designed to give students in-depth knowledge of the functioning of the many fields in the corporate world. Moreover, they not only cater to the needs of MBA students but also of the potential employers and ensure that students become competent managers.
Students pursuing an MBA degree are given the option to choose the right MBA specialization for themselves in the second year. At that time, the students have developed a basic understanding of the management concepts and know what field interests them the most. Hence, they make an informed decision regarding their future career path.
However, there are many students who are confused about the best MBA specialization for themselves. The many specializations offered in the MBA program puzzles them and they are unable to decide which one to go for. At times, the students may not even be aware of their area of interest or if they have the right aptitude for a specific MBA course.
Hence, let’s start by getting to know the popular MBA specializations in India and from there we’ll move on to the personality traits you must entailto opt that specific field.
Most In-Demand MBA Specializations
- Digital Marketing
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Operations Management
- International Business
- Business Analytics
Of course, there are a plethora of other MBA specializations like healthcare management, rural management but these courses cater to niche markets and lack in industry demand. So for now, let’s focus on the popular MBA specializations and discuss their scope in detail.
Which MBA Specialization is Best for You?
Let’s discuss the MBA specializations in demand in India, what their course curriculum entails and what personality traits, an MBA student must possess to pursue that MBA specialization.
Marketing is one of the most-in-demand MBA specializations in India. Being a creative domain, it has a vast scope and offers various career opportunities to students. The major task of a Marketing Manager involves differentiating his product and creating an image for his organization in order to sustain long-term profitability and brand loyalty.
Students opting for Marketing as their MBA specialization, must:
- Have good analytical skills,
- Be able to think out of the box
- Have boundless enthusiasm
- Be able to evaluate the quality and effectiveness of the creative work
- Know their audience
- Be able to see the big picture
Even though Digital Marketing is a relatively new MBA specialization, it is a huge domain to explore. Soon to be Digital marketing managers must be knowledgeable about all types of free and paid digital channels that they can use for marketing purposes, such search engine optimization (SEO), search engine marketing, pay-per-click advertising and many more.
Students opting for Digital Marketing as their MBA specialization, must:
- Have the ability to self-start
- Be willing to think on their feet
- Be prepared to adopt new practices, update their skill set and knowledge base
- Have a passion for learning
- Have strategic and analytical thinking
- Have the desire to help grow other businesses
Finance as an MBA specialization is chosen by almost one-third of all MBA degree holders, making it the most-in-demand specialization in MBA. The reasons behind this popularity are the high pay packages that are offered to graduates with an MBA in Finance. Management professionals opting for this course are made familiar with all the tools and techniques needed to do a variety of finance-related tasks that require great attention to detail, as well as an aptitude for numbers.
Students opting for Finance as their MBA specialization, must:
- Be an innate problem-solver
- Have exceptional leadership skills
- Have the ability to demonstrate logical thinking and analytical skills
- Showcase professionalism in all situations
- Possess quick decision-making skill
- Be honest, trustworthy and reliable
An MBA specialization in HR specializes you in helping the company acquire, manage and retain talent in a systematic and organized manner while avoiding any legal or ethical issues along the way. It is a great tool to prepare you for doing this kind of work. In addition, it teaches students the delicate task of managing relationships between core management and employees.
Students opting for Human Resource Management as their MBA specialization, must:
- Be a great negotiator
- Have exceptional time management skills
- Have a keen sense of ethics
- Showcase great multi-tasking skills
- Be cooperative and flexible
- Possess strong conflict management skills
Operations management is one of the few MBA specializations that are required in almost all types of industries. Management students can pursue an MBA in Operations in order to gain the skills and techniques needed to plan, execute and manage various operations related activities such as product design, procurement, product manufacturing etc.
Students opting for Operations Management as their MBA specialization, must:
- Be multitasker
- Have exceptional organizational skills
- Have sound knowledge of the business processes
- Have a sense of accountability
- Possess an eye for quality
- Have the ability to work under pressure
Information Technology as an MBA specialization is the perfect way of learning about all types of computer and internet technologies that are used to manage business-related tasks such as systems analysis, data analytics, e-commerce activities, network security, database creation, and maintenance, etc. With so many aspects of businesses dependent on technology, there is a constant demand for management professionals who have an MBA in IT.
Students opting for Information Technology as their MBA specialization, must:
- Have the ability to assess technology needs
- Be able to understand how to effectively implement change
- Posses the ability to identify the target and create a vision
- Have the ability to ability to implement a “client service” mindset
- Possess the ability to track and measure performance
- Have the ability to focus the resources
An MBA in International Business deals with teaching management students how to conduct business on a global level. This makes it a unique MBA specialization, as it gives students the chance to learn about regular MBA subjects, but with a global mindset. Students opting for IB as their specialization gets to learn about international marketing, international logistics, foreign exchange, foreign investments, international trade practices, foreign laws, and international market rules.
Students opting for International Business as their MBA specialization, must:
- Be Well-spoken
- Be a Good negotiator
- Have Sensitivity to cultural diversity
- Be able to cope with the diversity of demands
- Possess a passion for travelling
- Be curious and a quick learner
Business Analytics is one of the fastest growing MBA specializations in the corporate world these days. This growth is being driven by new innovations in technology that have given businesses the ability to collect vast amounts of accurate data. It is the job of the business analytics professional to convert this data into insights that can be used to grow the business.
Students opting for Business Analytics as their MBA specialization, must:
- Have the ability to solve problems
- Possess good technical acumen
- Be skilled with PM and organizational tools.
- Have the ability to demonstrate critical thinking and analytical skills
- Be a skilled communicator
- Be good at conflict resolution
Hence, if you find your personality traits match with the skill set needed to succeed in a specific MBA specialization, and if you have interest in that field of MBA, then you must go for it. That MBA specialization would be the best specialization for you.
At Sunstone Eduversity, our main focus is on revamping our curriculum regularly based on the industry demands, this helps us to be on top of the skills required by the MBA aspirants and students to be on top of their game and to have the necessary personality and soft skills that will not just make them employable, but great leaders and professionals too. Their Pay after placement fee structure model allows the students to first get placed in a well -paying job and then pay the course fee. This way Sunstone mitigates the financial risk involved in pursuing a costly degree.
You may also like to read
- Pay After Placement
- India’s only Pay after Placement Program
- Do business school rankings really matter?
- What are the criteria for MBA placement?
- Soft skills: the present demand of the business world